Australian homes use one of these three types of gases:
It is made from Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and contains methane, hydrogen, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen. It is lighter than air, although the carbon monoxide content makes it quite toxic.
This has replaced town gas in most cities. It is made up of methane and carbon dioxide. It is also lighter than air, and it is non-toxic. This gas, however, can cause explosions and asphyxiation.
This gas contains propane and butane. It is non-toxic, but is heavier than air. The composition of LPG is different in some areas in Australia, due to the extreme difference in temperatures Green Planet Plumbing experience in this country.
The greatest danger from gas arises when it reaches a certain concentration in the air and becomes explosive. If you smell gas inside your home, remember to do the following:
A gas leak in a home is usually the result of poorly fitted, ill maintained, or faulty gas appliances. Have your gas appliances fitted and regularly maintained by professionals to ensure their safety. Prevention is the best defence against gas leaks. Best to always start with your appliances that use gas.