Eco-Friendly Drain Cleaner: How to Clean a Blocked Drain
Drain cleaning is not something we think about until we have the unenviable task of unblocking a backed up drain. Chemical drain cleaners, plungers, handheld drain augers, air burst drain cleaners, and home remedy drain cleaners are typically applied to the problem of a clogged single drain, such as a sink, toilet, tub, or shower drain.
Using Chemicals to Clean a Blocked Drain vs Eco-Friendly Alternatives
Regular maintenance with an enzyme drain cleaner is a great way to prevent these blockages from occurring. Enzyme drain cleaners are a safe eco-friendly alternative to the use of chemicals. They use bacteria that have been specially selected for their appetite for fats, grease, oils, hair and soap scum that often cause clogged drains. After feeding on the waste materials, the bacteria release enzymes that quickly liquefy and digest the waste removing it from the system.
There are some drawbacks to using these enzyme drain cleaners.
- Preparation and cleaning times are much longer than when using chemicals, with cleaning time taking many hours.
- They are not as readily available as chemical cleaners
- The bacteria have a limited life span
Bunnings have a comprehensive range of both chemical and enzyme drain cleaners available from all Newcastle locations.
Do it Yourself Drain Cleaning
Most of us remember watching our Grandparents use those old home remedies to unblock a backed up drain. Here a few old favourites:
- Baking soda & salt. Mix half a cup of each together and pour it down the drain, wait 20 minutes and then pour in boiling water. The resultant chemical reaction should dissolve those nasty blockages.
- Coat hanger method. That’s right all you need is an old fashioned metal coat hanger. Just straighten it out as best you can, then, bend one end into a hook, push it down the drain and start pulling out the gunk. This will bring up hair and all of the other nasty stuff out of the drain. Remember to pull the gunk out and not push it further down. Then run some hot water to get things moving.
- Dish detergent is a great way to unblock a clogged toilet. Simply pour a quarter of a cup into the bowl, boil some water & slowly pour it down. The detergent will act as a lubricant helping to push the blockage through.
- Boiling Water is the easiest method to unblock a drain and should be tried first. Boil as much water as you can in one go then pour this very slowly down the drain. This is the quickest way to unclog a drain.
Call an Experienced Plumber in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley
If you are not a do it yourself type of person, then the safest way to handle any blocked drain is to call a Plumber. They will be able to quickly determine the cause and create a quick plan of action to get everything back on track. If you are environmentally conscious, then seeking out an eco-friendly plumber will be the perfect answer.
Green Planet Plumbing is a family owned and operated business servicing Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and the Hunter Valley. They can unblock sewers and toilets while supplying 24/7 emergency service for any plumbing disasters.
Eco Drain Cleaning in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley
Green Planet Plumbing is perfect for all commercial and residential plumbing while also supplying all of your gas plumbing needs. With the cooler months fast approaching it may be time to call in the experts to install your new gas appliances such as heaters, ovens and hot water systems.
Green Planet Plumbing’s licenced gas fitters give you peace of mind knowing that all of your appliances are properly installed making your home safe from any gas leaks.
Please contact Dan and the team at Green Planet Plumbing for all of your local plumbing needs. Call on (02) 49 119 402.